In our company, we spend all day analyzing the age old question, “What do women want”. So my interest was peaked when I read that Marie Claire and Unity Marketing teamed up to analyze the 21st century woman – what engages her, entices her to shop, and wins her loyalty – published by Global Cosmetics Industry (GCI) Magazine.
It’s no secret that we are more independent and empowered than ever before. In this increasing wave of personal power, strength, and a new definition of “femininity,” marketers are challenged more than ever before to figure out what the modern woman wants and why she shops the way she does.
GCI explains that today’s female consumer has 5 top priorities:
• Emotional Health and Family: A whopping 88% of women rated this as their top priority, while 61% admitted that their greatest challenge is finding time to unwind, relax, and take a load off.
Here are a few of our favs to help you relax after a long day.
• Career and Finances: Number two is bigger than ever before – we are motivated and we are highly ambitious. (Thank you, Hillary and Oprah!) Constantly striving to achieve financial independence, career satisfaction, and freedom when we retire.
Keep your cash and cards safe.
• Society and Politics: 80% of women give back, either financially or with a time commitment, to charities in their communities. As though we didn’t have enough commitments, we are driven to make the world a better place and we resonate with brands that are aligned with these values.
Environmentally friendly products are not only socially responsible but also bring good karma.
• Health and Wellness: Sadly, nearly 50% of women will sacrifice sleep to make time for everything that needs to get done in the day, which is why we need products and services that will make health and wellness flexible and easily accessible amidst the chaos of our busy lives.
It’s more fun to go to the gym when you have a cute tote to haul around.
• Fashion and Beauty: A constant in our lives, no matter what decade or century. Nothing excites us more than a beautiful print, a stylish accessory, or a unique design.
Our specialty! And there are so many to choose from!
The results of this study are probably not surprising to you, but so often we still see companies and organizations in such a hurry that they lose out on this great opportunity to reach women effectively. After all, if this is a new marketing challenge for many companies, you have the opportunity to get ahead of the game by finding truly innovative promotional products that tug at the heart, are fashionable and fun, and promote health, beauty, and emotional well-being.
So, what do women want? Thanks to GCI and Marie Claire, we have a much better idea! Now it’s our job, as marketers, to be thoughtful and conscious when selecting the right products to allure women. We know your time is valuable, you’ve got a presentation in the morning, soccer practice at 3, a million emails in your inbox to go through, and a fundraiser to plan. That’s why we’ve compiled our Director’s Picks, which are the top 100 picks for the 21st century woman, to save you precious time. Marketing to 21st century women is fun – just think about the feeling you got the last time you received that amazing, thoughtful gift, or when you found that print you just couldn’t take your eyes off of. That’s what marketing to the 21st century woman is all about.
Posted by Melissa, Marketing Associate